cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brunosferos
Engaged Sweeper II
Hi,
I just upgraded my install to the 3.2 update 1, replacing both the service and the lsclient.exe files. Now all the machines on which I'm trying to run the lsclient are reporting the WMI error although the connection tester reports that everything is OK. I've also checked that the "Windows Management Instrumentation" service is started and that DCOM is enabled on the client.

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
10 REPLIES 10
brunosferos
Engaged Sweeper II
I've fixed the problem by changing the account the service is running under (as advised here) as when I reinstalled it I left it to run under Local System.
Thanks for your help.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Your problem is probably related to wrong forward lookup dns problems.

When you run lsclient the service connects back to the IP address from which it received the connection.
When you use active scanning the service connects by name to the FQDN of the host (workstation1.domain.local)

If this name resolves to a wrong ip address (for example the service connects to the IP of workstation2) this will give an access denied.

So from the server try to connect with the connection tester to the IP address, hostname and FQDN of the affected hosts.
cwarren
Engaged Sweeper
Nope. Both lsclient and lstrigger result in a valid scan.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Do you also have the problem when you start the scan with lsclient?
cwarren
Engaged Sweeper
OK, uninstalled and reinstalled following the procedure in the included PDF. Still using the same account to run the service, and the WMI Access Denied number is still climbing...
cwarren
Engaged Sweeper
Yes. In fact, I just replaced the old service exe with the new version. I didn't touch the service installation at all.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
cwarren wrote:
Yes. In fact, I just replaced the old service exe with the new version. I didn't touch the service installation at all.

I would recommend following the procedure of uninstalling and reinstalling the service (see the pdf document that came with the upgrade)
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Cwarren: Did you install the service with the same user account as before?
cwarren
Engaged Sweeper
I'm having the exact same issue. It would appear to be related to the active scanning, since the number is going up on its own, and at a rate that can't be explained by regular logon activity. Furthermore, I can get a machine to scan properly using lstrigger or manually calling lsclient from the machine, but it will show back up on the "WMI Access Denied" list soon enough.

The error being shown for me is: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) COMPUTERNAME ()

Nothing has changed in my environment other than the version of LS I'm using.