cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harringg
Champion Sweeper
In the main web page of LS, I had updated a bunch of Generic Devices, Device Overview>Network Device to Device Overview>Switch and today they are all reverted to Type:Network Device.

I thought maybe I was too rushed yesterday and overlooked saving or something, but just now, I changed one to Type:Switch, [Save Changes], and in about 5 minutes it's back as a Type:Network Device.

It's not an issue of my browser cache, I've gone into Lansweeper Configuration and viewed Scanned Devices (third from the top) and sorted by IP. That device I just changed to Switch (and saved) is now a Network Device.

It's a Dell PowerConnect 5324 Switch. I can login via http:\\xx.xxx.xxx.3
and I've changed the name to Name: "Distribution Switch 1-5324"

When I notice it's reset, it's now listed as:

Type: Network Device
Name: WW PCBA Test xx.xxx.xxx.3

The MAC address as recorded by LS is the same, wheter it's reported as a Network Device or set to Switch by me.

I'm
5 REPLIES 5
wcb
Engaged Sweeper III
Locking the device details would not have changed the device lookup entries.

I looked in my device list and see that there is a PowerConnect 5224 but not a 5324. You would probably need to add it. The current manual covers this on page 64. It does recommend (as did Lansweeper support above) to edit the device details and lock it since that is simpler for most people. Since you have multiple devices, may get more(?), and feel comfortable doing it, then adding the new OID may be something you would want to do.
harringg
Champion Sweeper
Thanks for both suggestions. I did look up the OID (Lansweeper Configuration>Scanning Options>Device Lookup) but didn't see the one I was looking for. Is that because I already "locked" it? I sorted by OID.

I'm comfortable searching for the OID, but the checkboxes work too.
wcb
Engaged Sweeper III
... or go into the configuration utility and update or add the OID entry in the device lookup section?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
wcb wrote:
... or go into the configuration utility and update or add the OID entry in the device lookup section?

You could do this as well, but changing the device type manually is easier for most customers. Just make sure you check the "lock against scanning" checkbox to prevent overwrites.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Where available, you need to check the “lock against scanning” checkbox next to the device field. Otherwise, any custom changes you make will be overwritten upon the next scan.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now