cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simonduz
Engaged Sweeper
I have successfully setup LanSweeper to use LSclient.exe and can see the results in a web console 🙂

Now I would like to test the "service".
The service is running locally on my computer.
My service config file is setup with this connection string:
<add key="ConnectionString" value="Data Source=DataServer1;Initial Catalog=lab;User ID=labuser;Password=labuser_#0015" />
<add key="ConcurrentThreads" value="10" />

My service is set to run with the local admin ID which is different from the ID used in my connection string. (does this matter?)

My server config file is setup the same:
<add key="ConnectionString" value="Data Source=DataServer1;Initial Catalog=lab;User Id=labuser;Password=labuser_#0015;" />
<add key="ConcurrentThreads" value="75" />

Everything appears normal, no errors when I launch the LanSweeper service or server but I get no data displayed in the server GUI, and no data in the web console. :w)
So what have I done wrong?
And how often is the service supposed to report to the server? (can this be configured?)
Thanks in advance. If I can get the service working and the server to display data then I am all set and will continue testing with other machines.
10 REPLIES 10
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
only the machine designated as server (see "how it works" on the website)
simonduz
Engaged Sweeper
OOOOOHHHHHH!!! Gotcha now.. :b) The pounding finally is working!

Does the service need installed on all machines that use lsclient or only the machine designated as "server"?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
You can try with the query analyser and try to login with the information provided in your config file.

I think I understand now... So what you trying to "pound into my noggin" is that if I have the service running I won't see any machines listed in the LanSweeper server gui, only data in the DB? If I use the LSclient.exe I would be able to see machines listed in the LanSweeper server gui?

No, you got it wrong.
ALWAYS use the lsclient.exe on client to connect to either the service or the lswinap.exe application.

You can view the results in the database or websonsole.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
eum, the "SQL Server does not exist or access denied" is why the service isn't working.

I don't think that you understand that the gui and the service are 2 different things, you have to use one or the other, not both.
Smikkel wrote:
eum, the "SQL Server does not exist or access denied" is why the service isn't working.
Yep kinda figured that out. :lol

I think I understand now... So what you trying to "pound into my noggin" is that if I have the service running I won't see any machines listed in the LanSweeper server gui, only data in the DB? If I use the LSclient.exe I would be able to see machines listed in the LanSweeper server gui?

And what exactly does the lansweeper server app do? And when should I see a machine listed there? (sorry should have asked this along time ago)

But what about my connection string...? why doesn't it work. eeeek!

simonduz
Engaged Sweeper
Yepper... when I use the connection string above I get an error related to the service:
"SQL Server does not exist or access denied."

But no error related to the sever gui. (same connection string with different thread value)
And like I have said before the Lsclient.exe works fine for me. (puzzled)
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Do you see any error in the eventviewer?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
another thing:

You run the service or the lswinap.exe, not both
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
You have to make sure that the service is configured with a user that has administrative rights on the clients (his is typically a domain administrator and not a local user)

Each time the lsclient fires, the service will scan the client and put the results in the database (which you can see with the console)

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now