→ The Lansweeper Customer Excellence Awards 2024 - Submit Your Project Now! Learn More & Enter Here

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmnv
Engaged Sweeper
I've currently downloaded and installed Lansweeper and was attempting to scan my remote branches. I've separated my scans by specifying a range of ip's per network to try and minimize the traffic. I've set my ip/computer threads to 3 and attempted a scan but the bandw utilization jumped from 15% to >90% for at least 1minute before I had to kill the process.
Any suggestions on how I can minimize the traffice even more? I'm not too concerned on how long it might take to scan but as long as I can minimize the traffic.
Also, is there a way to kill a running scan? I'm new to the software and I ended up just killing the lansweeper service on the server.

Thanks,
6 REPLIES 6
rmnv
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks! I read the note incorrectly.
rmnv
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks for the response and suggestions. I have brought the threads down to 1 but I guess as you mentioned, the initial scans are still sending a lot of data.
I did also try checking off the "no windows" option within the ip range scanning window and noticed that after the scan, it missed most of the hosts within my scan range? I went back and unchecked that option and now it's seeing the hosts that were missed. Any ideas?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
rmnv wrote:
I did also try checking off the "no windows" option within the ip range scanning window and noticed that after the scan, it missed most of the hosts within my scan range? I went back and unchecked that option and now it's seeing the hosts that were missed. Any ideas?

When "No Windows" is checked, no computers will be scanned for the IP range. Only devices will be scanned.
When "No Windows" is unchecked, both computers and devices will be scanned for the IP range.
Boo
Engaged Sweeper
Lansweeper wrote:
rmnv wrote:

When "No Windows" is checked, no computers will be scanned for the IP range. Only devices will be scanned.
When "No Windows" is unchecked, both computers and devices will be scanned for the IP range.

Hello and a happy new year !

We do logon scanning of Windows computers (that is, a computer is scanned when users logon to our domain). This enables us to charge our customers for service subscriptions on active computers (read: authorized computers), etc.

Due to security issues, we frequently perform IP range scannings, among others to detect "unauthorized computers" on our LAN. However, during IP range scan, "authorized" computers are scanned again.

As I understand it, checking "No Windows" will cause no windows computer at all is scanned.

Any possibility to bypass IP range scanning of computers already stored in Lansweepers database ?

- Regards
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Boo wrote:
Any possibility to bypass IP range scanning of computers already stored in Lansweepers database ?

If you wish to exclude certain computers from IP range scanning only, add them to your IP exclusions. IP exclusions can be found in your configuration console under Scanning Servers\Your Server\IP Range Scanning\IP Exclusions.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
If you wish to minimize the traffic even further, you will have to continue lowering your scanning threads. Initial scans take up the most traffic, subsequent scans will pull a lot less data.

You can kill a scan by stopping the Lansweeper service, as you've done.