cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allthewaydown
Engaged Sweeper

Hey everyone,

I'm planning to move my Lansweeper database from SQL LocalDB to SQL Server in the next couple of days, and I wanted to double-check if anyone had any last-minute advice or gotchas to look out for.

I've reviewed the Lansweeper and Microsoft documentation and the specific instructions provided by Lansweeper (https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/move-your-database-from-sql-localdb-to-sql-server/) for moving the database from SQL LocalDB to SQL Server. I feel confident that I know what I'm doing, but I always like to get some extra input from the community.

Specifically, I want to:

• Move the Lansweeper database from SQL LocalDB to SQL Server. SQL Server is installed on the same VM as the scanner and the current express install 
  • Make sure I don't lose any data or settings during the move
  • Keep downtime and disruptions to a minimum

I'm also wondering if there's anything else I should be taking into account, given that my Lansweeper install is hosted on a VM in Azure and the SQL Server is also on this VM. Are there any unique considerations I need to keep in mind for this type of configuration?

I'd appreciate any final advice or tips that you may have from your own experience with this process.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 REPLY 1
Obi_1_Cinobi
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

Hello there!

If you follow the instructions, you should be all set!

Some things to highlight:

• Always back up your Lansweeper installation before migrating anything, just to be safe.
  • The SQL Server instance you are migrating to should be SQL Server 2014 or higher, as Lansweeper's LocalDB database server is based on SQL Server 2014. And SQL Server is not backward compatible.
  • When moving components from an on-prem Lansweeper installation, ensure to run the installer with the /classic parameter. And don't try to create the database manually. Let the installer do this for you.
  • Regarding the Azure environment, ensure that you have a full-blown SQL Server instance on that machine and not SQL as a Service, as our installer does not support the latter.