cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrBob
Engaged Sweeper III
I am demoing LanSweeper v6.0.100.29. I've been working through getting everything to scan and that's going pretty well.

I've been reviewing the results of these scans and have noticed that scanning for installed software has an issue. I have Acronis Workstation v11.7 installed on over 83 PCs (reported by my current asset software). When I go into software in LanSweeper, it reports that it's installed on only 13 PCs.

I've gone to several PCs that have Acronis v11.7 installed and rescanned them but it still doesn't show up in LanSweeper.

I haven't identified any other software that's not showing up so far and I've found a number that are reported incorrectly by my old asset software.

12 REPLIES 12
Renzzoo
Engaged Sweeper
Well, maybe it is easier to explain it like that:

When I open specific asset (computer) and click on "Software" then I see Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2018 on the list of installed software. But when I search for that software using built in search function, I only see few of computers that has specific software installed. For example I can't see computer named "PC01" in that list although I can see from asset page that "PC01" has AutoCAD installed. When I run report called "List of software by computer" and use filter for AutoCAD, I see only few installations, not all.

Ideally, what I really need, is a report that contains all installed versions of specific software, relevant computer name and (last) logged in user name. For example:

Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2018 PC01 User1
Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2017 PC02 User2

It seems that for some reason Lansweeper just can't see many installed instances.

Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Renzzoo wrote:
Well, maybe it is easier to explain it like that:

When I open specific asset (computer) and click on "Software" then I see Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2018 on the list of installed software. But when I search for that software using built in search function, I only see few of computers that has specific software installed. For example I can't see computer named "PC01" in that list although I can see from asset page that "PC01" has AutoCAD installed. When I run report called "List of software by computer" and use filter for AutoCAD, I see only few installations, not all.

Ideally, what I really need, is a report that contains all installed versions of specific software, relevant computer name and (last) logged in user name. For example:

Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2018 PC01 User1
Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2017 PC02 User2

It seems that for some reason Lansweeper just can't see many installed instances.

Since as you indicated earlier, the software is listed on the asset page of the computer that is missing from the report, the issue can be narrowed down to with the asset being missing from the report because of another factor rather than the software being not scanned. I'd recommend checking my points from the previous posts:
-Check whether the missing assets are set to Active
-Update your Lansweeper installation to the latest version (article)
Renzzoo
Engaged Sweeper
Is there any workaround, i have same problem whit AutoCAD, when i make software raport it shows me false raport, but when I'm looking for spesific computer and it shows me AutoCAD is installed. But this computer dont show up on raptort... only some computer show up, but like 10 are missing...
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Renzzoo wrote:
Is there any workaround, i have same problem whit AutoCAD, when i make software raport it shows me false raport, but when I'm looking for spesific computer and it shows me AutoCAD is installed. But this computer dont show up on raptort... only some computer show up, but like 10 are missing...

It's not entirely clear to me which report you're using, but if AutoCAD is listed on the asset page of the computer this information is in your database. This indicates that the computer or the software is being filtered out of the report either by a join or a where clause. The main causes for computers missing from reports are usually one of the following:
  • The computer being set to a state other than active, most built-in reports filter for active assets specifically.
  • If you're not on the latest Lansweeper version, the build number of this computer may not yet be in your database,
    making it not show up in reports including the table tsysOS. Update instructions can be found here.

If the above isn't the case, I may be able to find out what's causing the issue by having a look at the SQL code of your report.
miketrike
Engaged Sweeper III
Makes sense, GPO/Login script might alleviate that concern...
MrBob
Engaged Sweeper III
I know it is possible to perform a complete listing (all users) of Add/Remote Software because my old asset software does it now. That's how I discovered the problem in the first place. I assume both programs get the information from the PC's registry or through WMI.

I do think this is a purposeful choice by LanSweeper. I would like them to reconsider only scanning software through the filter of the currently logged in user. I don't see any benefit to do so but I do see problems such as mine. I want to be confident when I do a search for how many installs of a software I have that I'm getting them all.
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
MrBob wrote:
I know it is possible to perform a complete listing (all users) of Add/Remote Software because my old asset software does it now. That's how I discovered the problem in the first place. I assume both programs get the information from the PC's registry or through WMI.

I do think this is a purposeful choice by LanSweeper. I would like them to reconsider only scanning software through the filter of the currently logged in user. I don't see any benefit to do so but I do see problems such as mine. I want to be confident when I do a search for how many installs of a software I have that I'm getting them all.

Not picking up user-specific software when the relevant user isn't logged on is currently working as intended. We check the uninstall registry subkeys under hkey_current_user and hkey_local_machine for software scanning. User specific software for the user not currently logged on would be found under hkey_users, which isn't as straightforward to query due to the variable nature of its subkeys. Adding this would hinder the overall scanning performance. We're open to requests though, for easier request tracking though we would recommend you mail in about this to support@lansweeper.com.
MrBob
Engaged Sweeper III
Not picking up user-specific software when the relevant user isn't logged on is currently working as intended. We check the uninstall registry subkeys under hkey_current_user and hkey_local_machine for software scanning. User specific software for the user not currently logged on would be found under hkey_users, which isn't as straightforward to query due to the variable nature of its subkeys. Adding this would hinder the overall scanning performance. We're open to requests though, for easier request tracking though we would recommend you mail in about this to support@lansweeper.com.

Thanks for clarifying.

Performance is a legitimate issue but completeness and accuracy are as well. For people who don't install software selectively for different users it's not an issue at all.

When I perform a WMI query for Win32_Product (installed software) it takes roughly 30 secs to complete but it does report all installed software for all users. To me that's a cost I'm willing to bear to have confidence in the results.

Since this is an issue that has valid concerns both ways, I'd recommend making it a configuration option that the user can turn on and off in the Scanned Item Interval screen.

I will email this suggestion to support@lansweeper.com as well.

Thanks.
miketrike
Engaged Sweeper III
@MrBob

He already told you...
- https://www.lansweeper.com/kb/134/viewing-and-scanning-software-installations.html

Software installed for the user logged into the computer during the last successful computer scan. Some software packages can be installed for individual users on a computer. If a software package is only installed for specific users, it will only be listed on a computer's webpage and in software reports if the user logged into the computer during the last successful computer scan has the software installed. From Lansweeper 5.2 onward you can easily identify user specific software, software installed only for the last logged on user, in the Software tab of your computer webpages.

I don't think this is a Lansweeper issue, so much is that it's just how it works on Windows... LS Admin(s) can correct me if I'm mistaken...

I'm also assuming that's why something like scanning with GPO/Login script(s) is useful...