cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sureshot007
Engaged Sweeper
I noticed this yesterday when I took a printer offline. The object is still getting it's Last Successful Scan date updated, even though it's not plugged in.

It's an issue because I was trying to use the difference between last scan and last attempt to notify me if something isn't reachable.

The fun part is that I contacted support via email yesterday, and in the email exchanges since, they have said that this both IS and ISN'T expected behavior.

Can anyone give me a sanity check?
9 REPLIES 9
Eric_Bruner
Engaged Sweeper
Has this issue been resolved. Today I found out that I am in the exact same situation. I have a printer which is being moved from one location to another location. The printer has been powered off for a few days and I just learned today that it is still reporting a successful scan in Lansweeper even though you cannot ping the printer??? Makes me wonder how many of our other ~100 printers are in the same boat?
fjca
Champion Sweeper II
Ouch, tall order for me. I'm out of office for the time being, let me see if I can get someone from the local Helpdesk team can disconnect a printer so I can make a test.
sureshot007
Engaged Sweeper
Could you do me a favor?

Could you unplug one of your printers and click on the "Rescan" button in the object? Do the "last scan attempt" and "last successful scan" dates both update or not?

If you tell me that your install is acting differently than mine, then I'll dig deeper into my networking to see if something else is out of place. I would just like to confirm with anyone that they DON'T exhibit the same behavior before I start down that rabbit hole.
fjca
Champion Sweeper II
The fact that when changing the object from a Printer to a Windows machine has a different outcome doesn't surprise me (much...) since those are two distinct scans. A printer has SNMP (or maybe just protocol scans) and a Windows machine uses WMI...

Also, and regarding the ping behavior, remember that the red/green dot represents a ping done from the Lansweeper server to the IP, and the Ping action is a ping from the machine where you are running the web browser to the IP. If you running the web interface on the server OK, it should be the same. If not, them there could be a world of possible issues, firewalls, network ACLs', etc

Forgive me for asking some basic questions:

1) Is the printer connected via DHCP or Static IP ?
2) Are the DNS entries for the same IP ?
3) With the printer connected, could you do a "nslookup <printer IP>" ? Does it always return the same IP ?

To be honest, your description of the issue points to having some other device on your network with the same IP than the printer, OR Lansweeper thinking that the name is to another IP... something that Lanswweper can scan, but not a Windows machine... don't be so sure that Lansweeper doesn't use DNS or reverse DNS, it does... check for instance "Scanning->Scanning Issues->DNS Errors"
sureshot007
Engaged Sweeper
Another data point – if I use the “basic action” Ping, the objects that are unreachable do appear red, so that function must be working. However, it still shows a successful scan attempt.
sureshot007
Engaged Sweeper
More data points:
If I change the object from "Printer" to "Windows", it finally does not update the last successful scan attempt.

Then I deleted the object, rescanned the IP range and didn't detect an object at that IP. So then I added it manually, as a Printer object, and when I scanned it, it updates the last successful scan date.

So it appears that the issue is related to it being a Printer object.
sureshot007
Engaged Sweeper
Also, if I scan it manually from the device page, it still updates the successful date.
sureshot007
Engaged Sweeper
It is getting scanned every 2 hours by IP range (don't ping is NOT checked).
It's also part of an asset group that is getting scanned every 30 minutes.

The object shows a red dot for ping status. If I plug it back in, it goes green.

There are 2 DNS entries for the same printer, so it has two names, but the printer object has the right IP address, and nothing in Lansweeper is configured to scan by hostname, which would still fail anyway, since when the printer isn't plugged in, ping fails.

I just don't understand logically how it could say it had a successful scan if it is unreachable by any method.
fjca
Champion Sweeper II
Excluding some LS bug, i'm not seeing how that can happen, even with some convoluted scenarios...

But first things first,
How are you scanning ? By name, by IP, by IP Range ?
Did you check that the IP is not used anywhere else ? Or that somebody created a DNS alias for ANOTHER printer ?