cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EZAG
Engaged Sweeper
Hi,

i want to rename computers and to keep their history. I read Hostname Change/Duplicate MAC address and now know that i have to rename the computers name first in Lansweeper. More work than i want to do since in Asset ID is mentioned that there will be a mac-serial-based solution in 5.1.

When will this release be published? Will the old computername be stored in the new computers webpage for researches?

Best regards
Hannes
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
A 5.1 BETA installer was posted here. We recommend backing up your 5.0 database prior to upgrading or installing Lansweeper 5.1 on a test server.

Rename detection can be enabled by ticking "Detect when a computer has been renamed" under Configuration/Scanning Setup/Server Options. Windows computers will then be identified based on a combination of model, serial number and MAC address. Note that Lansweeper will not keep a history of computer names. Only the most recent (current) computer name will be stored.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
EZAG
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks, I will be happy when the new version is out.

Best regards
Hannes
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
It would be pointless for us to post a screenshot. The screenshot would just show a generic asset page, with no indication that the machine was ever renamed.

If you enable rename detection and rename a machine, the only change will be the name listed on the machine's existing Lansweeper webpage. All the rest remains the same. Note that the machine's new name will only be detected when the machine is rescanned.
jtseng01
Engaged Sweeper
Hi, simce I can't find any result different after enable rename detection.if posaiable. please post a screen will be more clear. thanks
jtseng01
Engaged Sweeper
Hi, hardly to me to catch your statement. would very appreciatively if some screenshoot sharing here. or could mail me.thanks
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
jtseng01 wrote:
Hi, hardly to me to catch your statement. would very appreciatively if some screenshoot sharing here. or could mail me.thanks

Could you clarify your question? As stated previously: if you enable rename detection, Lansweeper will simply update the computer's existing Lansweeper webpage when you rescan. The computer name will be updated and all of the previously scanned data will remain intact.
jtseng01
Engaged Sweeper
Hi, May I know what Lansweeper will do if Rename has been detected.(murge two asset into one? or ..? how many old data will move to new asset?) thanks
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
jtseng01 wrote:
Hi, May I know what Lansweeper will do if Rename has been detected.(murge two asset into one? or ..? how many old data will move to new asset?) thanks

Lansweeper will simply update a computer's existing Lansweeper webpage with its new computer name. The existing page will continue to be updated upon rescanning. No "merging" takes place.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
We hope to release the final Lansweeper 5.1 version by the end of the month. Custom fields are searchable through the web console search bar.
EZAG
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks for the answer. Is there a date for the non-beta of 5.1?

Are customfield indexed? Maybe i can type the old name into a custom field for researches.

Best regards
Hannes