cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lanman
Engaged Sweeper II
Good Afternoon,

Here is my problem. I have about 20-25 "mobile" users who connect to the network via VPN through a CheckPoint firewall. When they connect to the VPN I would like to be able to use LANSweeper to Support my users. When they connect to the VPN their IP address does not get updated in DNS, therefore LANSweeper does not get the updated IP address.

Because of this, LANSweeper has an incorrect IP address (the old IP address) and when it tries to scan, well...it does not work.

I have even tried using the "client." This also does not work becuase the address is not updated in DNS and I believe LANSweeper uses DNS to update the IP address.

Is there a solution for this yet? What is needed is some way, even a client, that LANSweeper can get the NEW IP address that the user has when on the VPN. Can this be put into the 4.0 update?

HELP!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
FYI: This was implemented today.

You can use "lsclient servername /scanonip" then the service will connect back on the ip instead of the hostname.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Lanman
Engaged Sweeper II
Good Morning,

Yes, I have been using “lsclient 4.0” with the “Lansweeper 4.0 installation.

What I did was I disabled the Lansweeper 3.5.2 installation on our server and installed Lansweeper 4.0.0.1 on a spare server that we normally do not use. I then configured LS 4.0 to scan our subnets and it has been doing so as it normally would. I then tried testing our VPN problem. I connected to a network OUTSIDE of our network/domain. Once connected to this network, I logged into our VPN and established a connection. I then pulled up a command line and ran the following (NOTE: I had previously loaded “lsclient 4.0 onto the computer):

lsclient.exe pal-lt-29 /scanonip

• ”pal-lt-29” is the name of the server where LANSweeper 4.0.0.1 is installed

Just a side note, I also tried (lsclient.exe pal-lt-29 /showresult) and it returned “Connection to server succeeded.”

After performing the above actions, I check the LANSweeper web portal and the information for this computer is NOT updated. The IP address for this computer is also NOT updated. The error log for this computer on the LANSweeper web portal shows the RPC and DCOM errors. I have tried a couple other things just to make sure that this is not being caused by a firewall problem or connection problem. The firewall is disabled on both the LANSweeper server (pal-lt-29) AND disabled on the computer we are connecting to the VPN on. I can ping the LANSweeper server from the computer we are connecting to the VPN on.

Regarding the “/scanonip” switch. When we connect to the VPN, we already have an IP address through either an Ethernet or Wireless connection. Then when we connect to the VPN, we acquire another IP address. So at this point we have at least two(2) IP addresses, maybe more. One for the physical adapter and one for the virtual VPN adapter. I have attached a screenshot (see email) of the “ipconfig /all” command. At this point, LANSweeper needs to know to use the Virtual VPN adapter’s IP Address, which in the screenshot is 10.2.255.126

Thank You,

Brad Busch | IT Systems Administrator
Palladium Energy
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
See the e-mail reply
Lanman
Engaged Sweeper II
Good Afternoon,

I have been testing the LanSweeper 4.0.0.1 build (along with LanSweeper 3.5.2) and I am having trouble using the “lsclient.exe” with the /scanonip switch. This past Friday I submitted a request on the LanSweeper Premium forum regarding “VPN Users & updating IP address (DNS).” You then added the /scanonip switch to the “lsclient.” I have tried this over our VPN and it is not working. Is there a log file that shows what the “lsclient” is sending out to the server? IS there a log file that shows what the server is receiving?

Basically, the problem is: When they connect to the VPN their IP address does not get updated in DNS, therefore LANSweeper does not get the updated IP address. Without this updated IP address, when you run “lstrigger” the server scans the OLD IP address and when you run the “lsclient” the client sends the Computer Name to the server and this Computer Name is associated with the WRONG IP address. Any ideas?

Thank You,

Brad Busch
Lanman
Engaged Sweeper II
Is there a way to get the BETA verion of the"lsclent" or the COMPLETE BETA version? I can help testing...
Lanman
Engaged Sweeper II
How will I be able to do this without an updated "lsclient?"
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Lanman wrote:
How will I be able to do this without an updated "lsclient?"

In the current version you can only do it if your dns is pointing to the correct IP.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
FYI: This was implemented today.

You can use "lsclient servername /scanonip" then the service will connect back on the ip instead of the hostname.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Lansweeper does indeed look at the dns server, if it's not updated there then the scan will fail.

Version 4 will have the possibility to scan IP ranges, this is probably a solution for your problem.

Maybe another possible solution for a future version would be a switch for lsclient "/scanonip" or something alike.