cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmf
Engaged Sweeper II

Are there plans to move to something more stable than a MAC address for asset uniqueness?

In short, when you have docks with Ethernet or Ethernet dongles in your environment, a MAC address provided by the adapter in that dongle or dock is not a unique identifier for workstations. I find machines taking over older entries in the database and merging of data such that the assets have invalid data. For example, entries get merged with recent Apple Macs having purchase dates years before they existed.

It would be great if something like serial was used if available before falling back to a MAC address which may not have anything to do with the device, other than the fact it's temporarily plugged into that station.

4 REPLIES 4
lmf
Engaged Sweeper II

@Mister_Nobody That link says that rename detection uses Serial for Windows as one of the components, so I don't see why that would be complex to try to join on Serial for other devices.

What I was asking is if there were any plans to use the serial number for other devices, such as Apple Macs, to determine uniqueness, when it is found.

I can have 5 machines use the same docking station without pass-through MAC addresses. MAC addresses are not the most unique item these days.

Mister_Nobody
Honored Sweeper II

You can create support case with wishes and describe method to get SN or other unique info.

David_GF
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

On top of @Mister_Nobody link, you can find more info on how we uniquely identify assets in this article:

https://community.lansweeper.com/t5/scanning-your-network/how-lansweeper-uniquely-identifies-assets/...

In short, the MAC ID is one of the asset data that is used to identify the asset. It depends on the asset type and what information can be scanned.

~~~~~~~ (〃 ̄︶ ̄)人( ̄︶ ̄〃) ~~~~~~~
Sweep that LAN, sweep it!
Mister_Nobody
Honored Sweeper II

It's too complex task to identify asset.

LS use some data to idenify assets when it can get info:

https://community.lansweeper.com/t5/quick-tech-solutions/duplicate-assets-for-windows/ba-p/61259

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now