cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StephanBegert
Engaged Sweeper
I am getting multiple IP addresses for the same devices example (ISA Server) ...how can I consolidate?

Ip Address X.X.X.11

Advanced IP Settings

IP Address X.X.X.12
X.X.X.13

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
For Windows machines, the domain\netbios name is used as an unique (there should be only one record is the computer is successfully scanned)

For other devices the MAC address are used as unique.

How do you get duplicates: unable to scan a device mac addresses with snmp/ssh/broadcasts

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
For Windows machines, the domain\netbios name is used as an unique (there should be only one record is the computer is successfully scanned)

How do you get duplicates: unable to scan a device mac addresses with snmp/ssh/broadcasts
gglynn
Engaged Sweeper II
Lansweeper wrote:

Unfortunately, MAC addresses are only unique per interface. Personally, the problem I've run into is with routers (multiple physical interfaces, each in a different IP network, each with its own MAC address).
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
gglynn wrote:

Unfortunately, MAC addresses are only unique per interface. Personally, the problem I've run into is with routers (multiple physical interfaces, each in a different IP network, each with its own MAC address).

If the router has snmp enabled, Lansweeper is able to get all Mac addresses from the router and duplication will not occur.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Could you clarify your question. Is Lansweeper detecting incorrect IP addresses? What do you mean by "consolidate"?
gglynn
Engaged Sweeper II
Lansweeper wrote:
Could you clarify your question. Is Lansweeper detecting incorrect IP addresses? What do you mean by "consolidate"?

He means that Lansweeper appears to make the incorrect assumption that each device on the network can only have one IP address, and that if a device has two or more IP addresses (e.g. because it has to network interfaces each with its own IP address, or multiple IP addresses on a single interface), it gets inventoried as two distinct devices. Is there any way to tell Lansweeper that multiple inventoried devices are, in fact, the same device, or to prevent it from creating multiple inventory entries for the same device in the first place?